Alexa Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

SEPCO's blog on all things renewable and green

LED Lighting: A Natural Choice For Your Next Renovation

Posted by SEPCO

11/12/13 9:30 AM

When renovating a property, or part of your home, lighting is often an aspect which is left until the end. Planning ahead can give you the opportunity to update and even integrate your lighting, providing light where it is needed, and potentially reducing your bills in the process.

LED_Lighting_A_Natural_Choice_For_Your_Next_Renovation

What Is LED Lighting?

While you may have heard about LED lighting, you would be forgiven for not knowing much more about it than the name. People of a certain age will be immediately reminded of the little red lights used in electronics classes in school and may be possibly wondering how that is going to light your kitchen or bathroom successfully, but the technology has come on in leaps and bounds.

LED (again as you may remember) stands for light emitting diode, wherein the electrical current which passes through produces light by energizing the chips in the diode. Unlike conventional filament lights, more energy is produced in the form of light than heat thus making LED lights far more efficient. This LED lighting resource will take you through some of the reasons why this form of lighting is certainly worth consideration as part of your next renovation.

Lighting As A Design Feature

Whereas lighting was once a purely functional part of the design of buildings, it now takes on a far more aesthetic role, making an impact on the mood of a room, and affecting greatly how a space may be viewed or even used. Whilst lighting becomes more important in the design, it can also help to almost elevate certain buildings into the realms of artworks. Lighting can help to bring out other architectural or design features in a room, drawing the eyes to certain places. The versatility of LED lights can help to achieve this.

LED Lights Have An Extended Life Span

According to the manufacturers' guidelines surrounding LED lights, they can last for an incredibly long time. When used in the manner specified by the manufacturer, a light can last for up to 50,000 hours (which equates to over five and a half years of continuous use), which makes them ideal for use within the home. Whilst the initial installation of fixtures may cost more than conventional lighting, the extended life of the lights will balance this initial outlay.

Vastly More Energy Efficient

It almost seems like a weekly occurrence that one of the energy companies announces a price hike. As all of us look to conserve energy, whether for ecological or economic reasons, LED lighting can have a profound effect on the energy used to light your home. A vast amount of light is produced in return for a relatively small amount of energy used with an LED light, which is in stark contrast to filament lights which use only around 10% of the energy they need to supply light, with the other 90% actually producing heat.

Lighting In Specific Areas

Lighting produced by LED lights is very controllable and directional. This makes it vastly different to light produced by traditional bulbs, which is seen as omnidirectional. Light from an LED bulb can be focused and placed on a specific spot providing accent to a space. Contacting an LED lighting manufacturer can help you answer any questions not covered in this LED lighting resource. Whether changing your lighting for aesthetic or energy saving reasons, the versatility and efficiency of LED lighting makes it possibly the only serious choice when renovating your home or commercial building.

About the Author: James Holden is the digital content manager of Visible Lighting and has many years’ experience in the LED Lighting industry. To find out more information on James Holden, you can follow him on Google Plus.

Topics: LED Lighting

Subscribe to Email Updates