One way to save money and be eco friendly is to use renewable energy to save money. There are various ways to use renewable energy in your everyday life. There are some ways that are more complicated and others that are easy and can be done by everyone.
You can save on your electric bill and in heating and cooling costs. Here are a variety of useful tips to help the environment and your bank account:
- Solar energy is perhaps one of the best ways to save money and help Mother Earth. It is effectively an infinite source of renewable energy which can heat your home and generate electricity. It can be expensive to begin with but the future monetary payback is worth the initial cost.
- Hydroelectric power is another resource for renewable energy. It can help you provide energy for your home and generate electricity.
- Geothermal energy contained in the earth can be used to save electricity and is a great source of renewable energy.
- The wind is also a renewable energy that we can utilize if we live in an area that utilizes this resource.
There are also ways to save energy at home without relying on any of these techniques. You can make small changes that can save money and help the environment. Even though the methods above are methods that you can use you do not have to make huge changes to utilize renewable energy. Here are some tips for saving energy today:
- Insulate your home. If your home is well insulated then you will save on your heating and cooling costs. This is a cost effective way to make a change and save money. There are many government programs available for tax breaks if you are making your home energy efficient. The government has even given stipends to people if they make their home energy efficient and can provide proof that they spent the money improving the energy efficiency of their home.
- One way to do this is to install more or better insulation. Another way is to change out your old, drafty windows and doors for an energy efficient model. Old, drafty windows can waste electricity and cause you to spend more on your electric bill. This will not only provide you with a tax break but also lower energy bills.
- Appliances and other large items can burn a lot of energy when they are left on and are not turned off. If you make a commitment to turning off these items you can save twenty five percent more energy. It has been proven that if you leave your appliances plugged in you waste twenty five percent more energy than you would if they are turned off or unplugged. This will make a difference in your electric bill and also make you feel better about the way that you use energy.
- Energy efficient light bulbs can not only save on your electric bill but they can also save money because they last for years. The standard bulbs do not have the same capacity to last as the energy efficient bulbs. Many of them can last up to five times longer and save on your energy bill. Not only are you saving money but you are also helping the environment and saving energy resources. There is an initial cost and they are a bit more expensive than your standard bulb. You have to remember the benefits for the future and the lower energy bills and you will not have to replace them as fast.
- One of the top ways to save money and help the environment is to reuse and recycle. This is a very important way to save money because if you reuse items you do not have to purchase and replace that item. There are many items that you can get paid to recycle. For example, aluminum cans can be recycled and you receive a monetary benefit. There are various other items that you can recycle for cash or for the environmental benefit. Many garbage services and landfills are making people recycle or they will not pick up their garbage. It has to be sorted before the garbage man picks it up at the curb.
- Water conservation is also imperative to saving money and also for conservation reasons. Many people have to pay a water bill and obviously the bill will be lower if the individual conserves water. That is one motivator to conserving water. However, even if you have a well, if you do not conserve water the supply could run out and you would have to drill another well. This can be a pricey endeavor for the consumer. Water conservation is required at times and luxuries like washing your car or watering your lawn are forbidden during drought and times when people have a high water usage. One tip is while you are brushing your teeth to not keep the water running. Use it only when necessary. Never let it just run when it is not being used. This is a waste of water and not conserving this vital resource.
There are many reasons to practice using renewable energy resource. These reasons are going to be a problem in the future if we do not make some important changes. We need to keep the earth for future generations and do all that we can to conserve and use renewable energy resources. Some of the issues that need to be addressed are:
- Oil resources are diminishing and we need to conserve to maintain our resources.
- The carbon tax is higher than it has ever been.
- Oil prices have skyrocketed.
- The ozone layer is in trouble.
We need to make changes and use our renewable resources, not just to save money but to save our planet. We have the resources and the knowledge to use these resources. Now, all we have to do is take action and use them. If you follow these tips then you will save on your energy bill. Who does not want to save money? Make change a part of your daily life. Make your life energy efficient. You can save money and save the world, all at the same time.
About the author: M.H is writing for Alternative Energy Geek where you can learn more about how different types of renewable energy sources work.
Pic Ref: The Future of Renewable Energy