LED Lights are gaining popularity for many reasons. Here is a quick rundown of what makes them the go to option.
1. LED lamps last longer than any other lamp on the market. Their typical life expectancy is over 50,000 hours; however, with recent improvements, we are now able to get a life of over 100,000 hours (21 years or more depending on usage). This means less cost for lamp changes and less time left in the dark, let alone the reduced cost of energy consumption.
2. LEDs use less electricity (about half of what it would require by a CFL and 10% of most other lamp options) and run on DC power. This makes LEDs the go to option for solar powered lighting systems as there is no converter needed or power loss from switching from DC to AC power. For standard lighting applications the converter is built into the lamp so no extra parts are required to run the lamp. Operating the LEDs from solar power means brighter, more efficient light.
3. Color options are endless with LED lights since the LEDs themselves can be colored for the specific needs of the user. No filters are required to get the color required for any project. Older LEDs used to have a natural blue hue; however, we are now able to get closer to a natural white light.
4. Applications vary from strand lights to standard bulb shaped lights and everywhere in between. Small solar LED lights can be used in the garden to provide ambient lighting for pathways or social gathering areas. They can also be used in a large number for commercial uses such as for buildings, streets, and signs. Optics provide even more options since LEDs can be used for directional lighting. This means that most LED fixtures provide lighting where required and are dark sky compliant.
5. LED lights are safer as they contain no mercury like fluorescent lamps, have no glass tubes that can break, and are resistant to vibrations and impact.
6. LED lamps have been created in the same style as old style lamps and can easily be installed into almost any fixture. Lamps have become readily available for household and have gained popularity since the phase out of standard incandescent light bulbs. Find out more about the phase out of incandescent lamps.
So LED lamps, whether for solar lighting systems or standard electric applications, are becoming the best option.What other reasons do you think should be added to this list? Let us know below.
Want to learn more about LEDs? Check out our post about How LED Lights Proved to be Energy Efficient.
Editor's Note: This post was originally published in September 2011 and has been completely revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.