In addition to the economic benefits from elimination of grid-connected electricity there are additional benefits of high quality solar outdoor lighting, including:
- No line voltage, trenching, or metering:
Since there is no need for trenching, wiring between lights or metering required, the cost savings on installation can be huge. Since most of the cost for traditional lighting is through trenching and brining in the grid power, solar is the go to choice.
- No impact from grid power outages:
Each system is stand alone and self-contained with its own power source any grid power outage will not cause an outage of the entire solar system.
- Able to employ battery backup for cloudy or rainy days:
In most cases, the battery system is sized for 3 to 5 days autonomy, the solar lights will continue operating even when sun radiation is not available
- Distributed light and power - no single point of failure for enhanced security:
Since each solar light is powered by itself and not connected to the rest of the lights, there is no risk of a complete system failures, as in a grid connected system
- Easy to install with quick connect plugs:
The solar system components are modular and designed for easy installation within a few hours.
- No scheduled maintenance for up to 5-7 years:
Most of the materials and components of the solar system are maintenance free. For example, the life expectancy of PV panels is 10 years maintenance free.
- No cost of replacing concrete, asphalt or landscaping from trenching:
Time and money is saved when installing the solar lighting systems since there is no need to remove concrete or dig trenches for cables. The civil work is mostly limited to installing a pole.
- No cost of transformers or meters to be added for electric service:
There are significant savings due to the fact that transformers or meters are not required for the installation of solar lights.
- If applicable, possible qualification for savings from various state/federal taxes:
Several tax incentives are available for the deploying solar systems, which make this alternative even more e attractive economically.
- Controlled charging to prolong battery service life: The controllers installed in the solar system provide features such as low/high voltage disconnect, to protect the system and improve its performance.
- Reduced emissions of criteria air pollutants from utility electricity production:
Solar power does not pollute unlike the power normally produced by the utility companies.
- Self-contained-light on/off controlled by automatic daylight sensing or preset number of hours:
The controllers installed in the solar systems allow for the programing of the lights to respond to the specific needs of the application, such as, having illumination from dusk to dawn, or any other combination.
- Safe 12 volt / 24 volt circuit with little to no risk of electric shock:
The fact that the solar lights operate with DC 12- 24 V, eliminates the risk of electric shock that at higher voltage could be fatal.
What other benefits should we add to the list?