Ever wonder why solar is a great alternative to standard grid electric?
1. Green – Solar is green. Green is the new black. Enough said.
2. Renewable – Solar is a renewable energy source. The sun is always present and even the cloudiest days have some sun power available for the solar panels to soak up.
3. Available Anywhere – Solar can be installed anywhere, even when what it is powering is in the shade. No matter what the circumstance, if there is a sunny spot nearby the solar can be installed to power something remotely installed.
4. Durable – A silicon wafer is not durable itself, but stick it behind some glass and you have the making for something that can withstand a lot more of the elements.
5. Eco-Friendly – No harmful gases come from a solar panel.
6. Cost Savings – Solar provides cost savings by not having to pay for electricity.
7. Easy Installation – Solar panels are easy to install, typically only needing a few bolts to hold them secure and some basic wiring.
8. Low Voltage – Solar utilizes lower voltage, typically 12 Volts DC, which means safer usage and installation.
9. Energy Savings – Solar utilizes lower powered items such as LED / CFL lamps, lower powered electronics, etc. that do not use as much power as standard electric systems.
10. No Trenching – Got a parking lot that needs lighting but the cement has already been poured? Need to put in a camera that is across the road from power lines? That’s fine with solar since each system stands alone and can be mounted anywhere (see No. 3).
11. Battery Backup – Most solar systems today utilize a battery backup that allows for three plus days storage of the power needed to keep the system running. That way, if the sun goes out, you will still have power for a couple days. Let’s just hope the sun comes back on soon.
12. Dark Sky Compliant – Since solar lights utilize lower lumens per Watt they comply with dark sky lighting laws when used with certain fixtures.
13. Tax Credits / Grants – Who would’ve guessed, but the government wants you to be green. They are providing tax credits and grants to help with the purchase of solar, any renewable energy for that matter. So if Uncle Sam wants you to use solar it’s a good idea.